Sunday, April 13, 2008

Lines

Off the route 22 highway, behind the veiled power plant construction that won out fifty nine picketers in a two day stretch, the green and brown mosaic of trees and homes are cemented together by the streets of Allentown. I’ve heard somewhere that Pennsylvania has the second worst public roads. Naturally, the question follows – who comes first?

We always want to know who comes first, who comes last. Then those who fall somewhere in between- well, they fall and that’s that. But the problem with in-betweeners is that I am one of them. And I have always lived with the belief that behind me, there’s just one other person – someone who can’t help but walk slower than the rest of us because she only has one leg.

I might as well switch places with her, take behind me that long stretch of nothing. She would be so much more grateful than I to feel the breath of someone else on her back instead of the broad broad wind.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home