Monday, April 28, 2008

When it rains

When it rains like this, I look harder at the light.
I open my eyes wide and know for certain
that things are alive.

Can you smell it -
The smell of every color arriving?
I remember you telling me

If you hadn’t known any better, you would
have thought I belonged there,
mixed in with the wet leaves.

When it rains like this, I want to taste
Everything. And my lips are red from
The sweetness of it all, because it takes more
Than the tongue to taste. It takes
Every part of the body.

3 Comments:

Blogger Sarah S said...

You write about eyes a lot lately...I don't know what that means but I'm curious. highly curious.

April 30, 2008 at 11:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

have you ever watched how a full rain turns the light into a thousand little halos, each drop perfecting and perfected by the light?

May 2, 2008 at 9:26 AM  
Blogger Ben said...

I also would like to say, having just read through a number of your earlier posts, that I really like your occasional references to Alaska and North Dakota. I think the feeling and images they elicit and perhaps also the sense of grounding in place they give add a lot to those poems.

May 2, 2008 at 8:48 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home